Friday, October 05, 2007

FINAL UPDATE: COMMUNITY PROJECT #1 | COME AS YOU ARE

Final Update: Friday October 5, 2007 at 11:58pm: This has been an amazing project. I've enjoyed seeing how people ARE and knowing that they are fully loved and accepted by God - "as is". It reminds me of when Bono sings,

"What once was hurt,
What once was friction
What left a mark
No longer stings
Because grace makes beauty Out of ugly things"
I'm not insinuating that you're ugly (necessarily), but I can certainly relate, personally, to the reality that my ugliness, my brokenness and my defiance has been embraced by Grace. It's God's amazing Grace that has lead me to pursue forgiveness, healing and a total life-realignment. (Romans 2).

If you can make it to Axis Community Church this Sunday, you can participate in the culmination of all this activity. I have a friend that is creating an amazing video that will incorporate most (maybe all) of the photos, plus some other footage. I'll make an attempt to post it here within the next week, no promises (I haven't talked to my friend).

Last 2 thoughts:
1. If you'd like, you may send in more photos (admin@axiscommunitychurch.com). I'd be happy to add photos for awhile longer.
2. The next community project has arrived. It's a global experiment in gratitude. I'll be blogging about it very, very soon. Head on over to the 5000 GIFTS sight now.
____________ _______________ ________________

Update September 28:
This project has been a very rich experience for quite a few people. Contributions have come in from Alaska, Florida, Maryland and more. NEW I've included some text from people that have written about their photos.

More people have blogged about this blog, here's how to view them. 1. Rachel Denbow. - at blogspot.com 2. Sarah Plants - her myspace profile is set to private, unsure if it's possible to view unless you're her "friend". Dan Rhoten, Niki, and Tina.

Remember: You can send as many pictures as you want... keep them coming. e-mail them to admin@axiscommunitychurch.com
__________ ___________ ___________ ______

PREFACE: Grace is Amazing. What is so amazing about it you say? The complete answer to that question would take far too long to unpack in this forum (not saying that we COULD have a complete answer to that question – oh, the mystery!). A decent summary could be found in the words, "Come as you Are". I'm convinced that God accepts us "as is". He invites us to come to him even though we can (easily) be evil, arrogant, messy, lazy, or down-right defiant. His invitation is the same to those who have betrayed, are atheist, democrat, or homosexual. Are you horny (yup), jolly, pessimistic or hopeful? All are welcome at Grace's table.

Some friends of mine named their church, "The Grace Place". I find that to be (almost) the perfect name for a church. Hasn't God/Church been misrepresented often as primarily judgmental, bigoted, or intolerant, yet the church is meant to be a place of Grace. A place where Grace is experienced in all of its glory.

THE PROJECT: Send me a photo of "how you are". (admin@axiscommunitychurch.com) Be sure to see the examples below. I encourage you to be as honest and vulnerable as you possibly can. I'd prefer that you'd actually be in the picture, but don't let my preferences stop you from sending a picture. The pictures should have some text describing 'how' you are. So, unless the photo is EXTREMELY obvious, use text. Use your imagination – write on a napkin, your skin, your fridge or your car… or print on a normal, white, college ruled piece of paper (how boring).

Send as many pictures as you like until Friday, October 5th at midnight. As I receive the pictures I will post them here… so come check back often and drop your observations, learning or questions.

THE ALTERNATIVE: No access to a digital camera? No problem. Leave a comment. Here are some suggestions to prime the pump: kind, full of zeal, selfish, impressive, cheerful, light-hearted, timid, scared, angry, shocked, sober, drunk, supportive, hateful, fiery, alienated, blissful, meddlesome… and on and on.

THE POINT: "What's the point?" you say? The point is multi-layered. 1. It will be fun. 2. It will also help us all to catch (possibly) a deeper look into the depth of God's Amazing Grace! I hope and pray that as people are honest and vulnerable we can grow in our appreciation of God himself. 3. It will help us to get to know each other better... maybe much better.

Fresno, CA


Fresno, CA

Fresno, CA

Fresno, CA

Fresno, CA

Fresno, CA
I feel like I've been sick- In a lot of ways. But, I feel like I'm finally getting better. so when someone asks me, How are you? I can't really say good and be completely truthful. I can only say that I'm getting better. Fresno, CA

Chico, CA

Chico, CA

and, joe... why is a sad face good for the heart? i've been thinking about that all day. Fresno, CA

Fresno, CA

Fresno, CA

...why not share at least that much about myself...crop as necessary...and thanks for the opportunity to do this...for what it means in the big picture and in my office tonight.
Fresno, CA

Fresno, CA

Santa Ana, CA

Florida

Fresno - via Wisconsin

I must say that this little question How are you? Is one I rarely ask myself. Why?... Because it's sort of a loaded scary question for me.

It took me a good couple of hours to come up with something that was authentic and that described the many parts of me at this moment = spiritually, physically, and emotionally.

1. Physical: We're poor right now (in our eyes, not really in context with third world citizens!) We're barely scraping by for the next couple of years while Lor's in school. This also means I'm in poor shape - I hate the gym. And I'm tired all the time. And stressed.

2. Emotional: Let's just say that I'm the emotional equivalent to a snail = I respond slowly and show little emotion, if any. My poor wife! This is all due to past wounds that haven't quite fully healed yet. This makes me a great endurer and a strong shoulder on which to cry, but not a great empathizer or tuner.

3. Spiritual: "Blessed are the poor in spirit for they shall see God." This is my blessing. My soul is always thirsty and hungry for more of God. Somehow, this triune poverty is being filled every day through his mercy, grace, and care. Most days I feel like I'll fall over if I take one more step, but I make it through each one still standing. I'm running on fumes, but I make home. I'm suffocating, but I find the surface just in time for a breath.

Fun project Joe. Can you post the emails and comments that came with the pics too. I think it would add a lot to this!
Fresno, CA



What I'm feeling right this moment.
I'm unusually happy this monday morning. My coffee was perfectly sweet and strong. My cheap chic outfit from Old Navy is making me feel confident.
Greedy because I seem to want it all. New clothes and shoes, a newer vehicle, new toys. I'll soon get over it when I realize it's the simpler things that truly make me happy.
I'm so motivated to work and create. To get actually finish things I have started.
and hopeful that next month I will see two lines instead of one. Anchorage, Alaska

i went to the beach yesterday...i came back a little red...so here's one...with a double meaning of course! i am loving this project...it's so fascinating...great job on really out of the box thinking...maybe i will get a few more in before the end of the week! Fresno, CA

Go Pack, Go! Fresno, CA

I make life more about me than I normally care to admit. Fresno, CA

Fresno, CA

The devil has been attacking me big time and hitting below the belt. Check out the feelings and these are just a few my mind has been going crazy. At least I still have faith!!! ~Maryland

Southern Oregon

i had to get a positive one in...do something else like this it's fun...and i am so coming on sunday to hear about grace...excited about that! Fresno, CA

Dallas, TX

Location Unknown

Location Unknown

Tennessee

3 comments:

RachelDenbow said...

Loved seeing the full scope of this project explained here. I think its going to be powerful.

Niki said...

It is beautiful to see a Christian community creating fellowship through each individual's vulnerability. I was inspired to search my own feelings even though I am 3000 miles away. Thanks to Rachel for sharing this on her blog.

Tina said...

Hi :)

I saw your post on my blog about using my photo of my current feelings. That would be fine and I would love to be apart of the project.

Have a good weekend.