Thursday, September 21, 2006

Lesson from Spider-man



"...In the end, Peter has made his decision, he's going to run. Until Aunt May meets him on the way out the door. To her there is clearly no option about the decision he has made, he will reveal himself, she believes more in his character than he does. This is the last bit of reassurance he needs to make the hard decision. It then cuts to him at the press conference with Tony Stark who has already made clear his identity as Iron Man. The final frame of this issue was exhilarating. In his classic red and blue costume Spider-Man steps to the podium and says: "Hi, good morning. Thank you for coming. I'm standing here today because… well, because… I have an announcement to make."


Peter Parker has done the unthinkable – he's revealed himself to the public. Everyone now knows that Spidey is Peter Parker. What in the heck is Marvel doing?!

I suspect in the long run he's probably relieved that he doesn't have to pretend anymore. A dual life is hard to live.

I suppose he could put on glasses when he doesn't want to be recognized… doh!

My distaste for Marvel's marketing ploy aside, I DO have a point.

In the real world, I think few people are comfortable enough with them selves not to pretend. The fear of rejection or disapproval is strong, even in 'spiritual' leaders.

I think there is a message that God has for us; it goes something like this

Get rid of hypocrisy, stop hiding behind masks. Lose the religious pretense; it's destructive to authentic faith. I want honest, authentic people.

Authenticity: Loosing the need to pretend.

As a human being, I don't want to be a place where you put on your churchy-face and pretend. I want to allow you to be a work in progress. I want you to do the same for me.

When we pretend, we're stuck. We absolutely cannot become better people until we admit the areas that need work. We can't find our security in God if we never admit being insecure. We can't overcome our anger problems if we continue to act like we're fine.

You can't fix that relationship with your boyfriend if you never tell him the things that make you uncomfortable. You can't find eternity in Heaven until you admit your inability to get there on your own. You can't until you admit, come clean, and be honest.

Good relationships require honesty, including the relationship you have with yourself.

Come as you are. No perfect people allowed.

Authenticity is dangerous if it's not married to acceptance and grace, but that's for another blog.


Trying to be real,

Joe

0 comments: