Thursday, July 13, 2006

LIFE TOGETHER - part 2


I can be a loner. I like my alone time, just me and my thoughts. This notion reminds me of a poem that I wrote in high school and eventually used in a song... Here's a line:

Here I sit in my room full of thoughts
my doors and window all are locked
on and on ticks the clock


I like to be independent. Self-sufficient. There's something satisfying about being able to handle my own "stuff". Yet, when I'm honest, it's a temporary satisfaction. It's shallow. And although I like to be alone, I don't want to live my whole life that way. I actually crave community.

Don't you think our culture makes it easy to be isolated? Oh, wait... We have "Myspace", nevermind.

For Centuries reading the bible alone was practically unheard of. Ancient peoples only heard the scriptures read aloud in a rooms full of people. Sometimes there was only one copy of the bible (or portion of the bible) in an entire village.

Because of the oral nature of the scriptures, the ancient/near east mindset saw themselves as part of a discussion that has gone on for thousands of years. Community, community, community. TOGETHER wrestling and searching and engaging the scriptures as a people hungry to know God in order to follow God.

Now, pastors study the bible alone, stand on stage and deliver the message alone, then they received e-mails and phone calls from individuals who agree or don't agree. Sigh. Is this right? Healthy? It's probably not all bad.

I do know that I'm really enjoying being part of a small community of christ followers who are trying to do life together. We've recently adopted an African child with the same birthdate as my daughter... we're contributing a small amount toward his health and education. My little community is planning a day to help build a home for a "less fortunate" family here in Fresno. And soon my little community is going to PART-A (party) for a day in Bass Lake! I'm finding that doing life together is very rewarding, fulfilling, diverse and most importantly pleasing to God.

I believe that we were created to live deeply with one another, to carry each other’s burdens and share our possessions, to pray for and confess our sins to each other, to suffer and celebrate together. It’s in these sacred relationships and honest, loving communities that God transforms us. The way of Jesus cannot be lived alone.


Are you connected? Do you have a community with whom you do life together with?

Love,

Joe

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Real community is difficult, especially for guys.