Monday, October 23, 2006

We aren't the future

We are so much more than our future.

I hate to admit this in such a public place; a place that simply begs for criticism that you can keep hidden from me. Deep sigh, here we go... I used to have a poster of Whitney Houston on the wall of my bedroom. Gulp. I’m bracing myself for the sound of laughter, but I’m alone now. You haven’t read this yet.

Although confession is quite a relief, I didn’t tell you that just to confess my teenage dorkiness. I’m tying to go somewhere with this, so hang with me.

Second embarrassing Whitney-related confession: One of the first CD’s that I ever owned was a Whitney Houston CD. I MUST clarify that I didn’t go out and buy this CD – it just came with the CD player that I bought from my Aunt. I know I’m alone here at my computer, but I honestly found myself preparing for another round of laughter.

On that CD, Whitney sang these words (I am quoting them from memory)

“People say the children are our future
Teach them well and let them lead
the way”
Although I could quote more - much more, that’s all that pertains to this particular ramble.

“YOUNG PEOPLE ARE THE FUTURE!” – too often this misguided mantra permeates our thoughts, programs, strategies, and teachings. I spent MANY years working with teenagers around the world - this is a pretty common battle cry.

“Sometimes I think we sacrifice present purpose while looking for future greatness” – Joe Green
Lol. I just quoted myself. That’s got to be some literary faux pas.

Whitney grew up in church. So did Elvis and Marilyn Manson. I wonder – just speculation here – if people were more interested in what they were going to be rather than what they were right then and now?

Even though I started by quoting Whitney’s thoughts about children, my overarching thoughts aren’t exclusively about young people.

Although I agree that preparing for the future is REALLY important, sometimes I think we are so preoccupied with “what’s next?” that we miss out on what is happening now.

Are you thinking about what you have to do next? I mean it… right now are YOU slightly anxious because there are other things to be doing? Other people you should be with or chores to be done? Is this normal?

We are not the future. If you and I are similar at all, then sometimes you struggle with being fully present right here, right now. Maybe you’re present in your body, but your mind and attention is really somewhere else. If we’re similar then sometimes you are playing with your kids while trying to figure out what you’re going to do about a situation you have to deal with later… or you’re thinking about something at work… or wondering how long you ‘have’ to play with these Barbies. But, you’re not at work or doing a chore. You’re playing with your kids. Now.
Sometimes present relationships suffer because of our preoccupation with what’s next.

Personally speaking – in my time alone with God today, I was reminded that this church that we’re planting isn’t JUST something that is “going to be great someday”. See, I’ve found myself looking so far into the future that I forgot for a second that we are a church RIGHT NOW. This church that we are starting isn’t only a future reality, it’s a present reality. I have to lead like we are a church right now. The future of our church is important, but not more important than our present purpose, our present people, or our current victories. I made a choice to stop today and celebrate what we ARE, before I started working toward the future.

Want to join me in trying to be ‘fully present’ wherever we are today (and tomorrow)? Maybe we could have one less place to go after this and stay in that place a bit longer?

I have to go now… I’m supposed be somewhere.


---joe

p.s. If you are close to my age, I bet you have that Whitney song in your head.

0 comments: